I suggest you...

Stop Choosy from running in AppTranslocation mode

Choosy runs in AppTranslocation mode, even though the .prefPane file has been moved after downloading. This makes Little Snitch throw up a confirmation dialog after every restart.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Admingeorgebrock (Admin, Choosy) responded  · 

I eventually intend to change Choosy’s architecture so that it’s just an app, and no longer has the preference pane. Once that’s done, Choosy would run from the /Applications folder and would no longer be subject to translocation. However, that’s a big change.

In the meantime, Choosy itself continues to work correctly.

Little Snitch could probably do something to support apps running under app translocation (e.g. allowing rules to be set for an application’s bundle identifier, so that the path it was executed from wouldn’t matter) but that is outside of my control.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can manually remove the quarantine attribute from an app using a terminal command, e.g.:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine ~/Library/PreferencePanes/Choosy.prefpane

Then restart Choosy and it should no longer run in App Translocation mode.

• Bryan Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even the SSL for this site is broken - smells like security concerns are not being taken very seriously.

• Bryan Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - paid customer here - not happy with a URL helper dialing home or anywhere else - the behavior is very persistent - if you can't sort out the app translocation - how about a preference pane option to disable sending data to the internet. The security makes me nervous, I want to be very explicit as to where my data is being sent - exfiltration is an issue for anyone working with confidential data.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same annoying problem on my Mac. Please provide a fix or workaround. Otherwise I will not spend any money after my free trial ends.

Feedback and Knowledge Base